Friday, February 3, 2012

DIY Chalkboard

Unfortunately we have a stainless steel fridge so are unable to put any magnets on it. :( 
So I came up with a solution...
There is a small foot and a half section of wall separating the kitchen area from the living room. (The whole downstairs is one big open room) I decided to paint a three foot section on this wall with DIY chalkboard paint.  I didnt want it to be black so I opted to make my own, and went with a deep red to match my accessories.

I LOVE IT!
Before

Taped off, and started to paint

Done :)
So here's what you need: Flat Latex paint in your choice of color.  UN-Sanded grout. Small roller or brush. 150 grit sandpaper. And Chalk
I was doing a small section so only mixed one cup of paint up.
Use 2Tbsp of grout to 1 Cup of Paint
MIX WELL
I taped off the area I wanted painted, then painted the square.
I had to put on three coats for good coverage.
When fully dry, I waited overnight, sand down with paper until smooth, then use chalk to rub all over the area and condition it.  There you go, your very own chalkboard.
I'm thinking about painting my sons closet doors next! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment